Saturday 16 August 2014

Vesica Piscis Signet Ring

Another signet ring project - done.  This was also wax carved and casted in silver.  It's actually a copy of an old vesica piscis signet ring that had become very worn.  This is a picture of the original ring (worn on middle finger) and the one I made half way pre-polish and tidy-up (worn on ring finger).




The starting point was the planning, and working out how I was going to replicate the ring.  Taking initial measurements helped, as did doing a basic rubbing of the design.  The next stage was cutting and tracing the design and shape of the ring onto wax in order to make the wax model.  Here's the finished waxed model next to the original.


And, below with sprue attached before casting.  Believe it or not, it took more time and research to decide how and where the sprue should go than compared to the overall design.  Do a Google search on porosity issues regarding casting and you'll know what I mean...   I only wished I'd Googled it first instead of spending hours agonising and trying to work it out for myself!


After a short wait I was relieved to see it coming back from the casting company looking like this.  A bit rough, but all good.  No details lost and a solid, heavy ring.  


Then a lot of tidying up, filing, sanding, followed with a good polish, and off to the Assay Office for hallmarking...





Finally, it is done! 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sue. My ring is superb, it fits perfectly and it is beautifully crafted. I am delighted with it. It is lovely to wear something that you have made. Thank you again, blessings David

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a pleasure David. I hope it continues to give you joy. Much love, Sue

    ReplyDelete